Thank you for joining me on this Six Part Series on Centering Prayer!
In case you missed any of the previous five parts, I have listed them below. Feel free to take a peek back.
In this final post I will discuss next steps. Now that you have begun a centering prayer practice, what are some recommended next steps.
These next steps are for both beginners and those who are long term practitioners. I am not a beginner. Nor am I a long term practitioner. I have practiced centering prayer since June 1, 2014.
Let me share some next steps that I have taken:
- Find a Spiritual Director that you can meet with to discuss your practice and faith. I live in the Philadelphia area and was able to find a wonderful Spiritual Director at the St. Raphaela Center.
- Find a local Centering Prayer group that meets weekly or monthly and join them from time to time. Silence in community is powerful. The Contemplative Outreach has many chapters throughout the United States.
- Go on a weekend retreat. I went on a weekend retreat at the Bethany Retreat Center. It was led my Father William Meninger, the founder of Centering Prayer who then refined it with Fathers Thomas Keating and Basil Pennington. The retreat I attended discussed Saint John of the Cross and The Cloud of Unknowing. Of course Centering Prayer was practiced twice per day in community at this retreat.
- Stay at a hermitage for a few days to go deeper in your practice. Amos Smith and I spent 3 nights at the Santa Maria De La Vid Abbey: Norbertine Community of New Mexico. We practiced Centering Prayer three times per day, 30 minutes for each sit. We wrote. We walked. We attended a traditional monastic service.
- Read books on Centering Prayer. You can find some of my favorites here.
- Don’t become discouraged. God is delighted that you want to sit no matter how long your sit is. If you miss a scheduled sit, God infinitely loves you and looks forward to your next sit.
- Attend a long term silent retreat. These retreats are often 7-10 days in duration. I have yet to attend one but hope to do so in the future.
Again thank you for joining me over these past six weeks.
Centering prayer is not a sprint. It’s a marathon. Centering prayer practiced on a daily basis will transform you. If you are faithful to your practice, your practice will be faithful to you!
One on One Coaching with Rich
Does this sound like you?
“I am bored with my life?”
“I am not doing the things that I want to do in all areas of my life:”
-career, personal, family, community.
I feel unfulfilled, like I am just going through the motions everyday.
I have dreams and goals, but I am afraid to show up and take action on them.
I don’t want years to pass and be disappointed when I look back on my life.
Integrating Centering Prayer practice with your everyday life addresses all of these thoughts.
Do you want to obtain the freedom to become your true self, the person I’m created to be?
How do I create a long lasting and sustainable centering prayer practice?
I am currently taking on clients for Centering Prayer One on One Coaching sessions.
I will work with you to setup a program designed to meet your specific needs.
Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks – This is a great way to listen to books with your cell phone while you drive, walk or relax at home. I frequently listen in my car during my commute to and from work. I’m a proud affiliate.
David Frenette’s book The Path of Centering Prayer re-energized the Centering Prayer tradition with its fresh insights and teachings. This companion audio program—created to be equally rewarding as a stand-alone guide—gives listeners an immersive resource to learn contemplative prayer, step by step and in the moment. With clarity and compassionate presence, Frenette explains the essential principles of this contemplative practice for both new and seasoned practitioners, and then guides us experientially through core prayers and meditations.
How might your life change if you were steeped more deeply in the wisdom of the Christian Mystics? Drawing on the best available writing on the topic of Christian Mysticism both ancient and modern, Contemplative Light is offering a special course on the Christian Mystics Sacred Lives: An Introduction To The Christian Mystics.
The Divine Transformation: Essentials of Christian Mysticism – Welcome to a comprehensive introductory through intermediate level course on both practice and perspectives of these timeless teachings from the Christian Mystical and Contemplative traditions! Whether you are a long-time practitioner looking to solidify your understanding and framework for practice or a beginner interested in immersing yourself in this teaching, this course can serve as a rich resource.
Contemplative Practices: 5 Ways of Consenting to the Divine – Learn methods practiced by Christian mystics for centuries to consent to the action and presence of God within, including Centering Prayer, The Examen, Lectio Divina, Christian Meditation, and the Jesus Prayer.
Writing as a Spiritual Practice: This course helps you to access the rich spiritual stories that lie deeply within you. Words are powerful. The words that you write can be used to:
- help you understand yourself better – and therefore divine God’s purpose in your life
- facilitate healing of spiritual wounds
- minister to others more effectively
- share your testimonies of how God has worked in your life
How to Write a Devotional: Plus How to Get Them Published – If you read devotionals, you already know how they can be a true blessing. A devotional can uplift you when you’re feeling discouraged, sad or lonely. It can allow you to feel a keen sense of fellowship with another Christian, even if the two of you never actually meet. And, if you are feeling called to write devotionals, know that you have a unique opportunity to bless others and make a genuine difference in their lives. This course takes you step by step through the process, and then guides you towards publishing, if that is your goal.
Drawing from the wisdom of monastic life, modern psychology and best practices in personal productivity, the Monk Manual provides a daily system that will help you find clarity, purpose, wisdom, and peace in the moments that make up your life.